Compiled by the Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre, Kamieskroon (David 079 184 8717)
Most of the flowers in Namaqualand are at their end, apart from areas around Nieuwoudtville and along the west coast in the Western Cape. We would suggest that when you see small patches of flowers, that you stop and climb out your vehicle, thus way you will see a greater variety in flowers.
Some flower displays will still found in the West Coast National Park. See below for more details.
Please help us to make other visitors’ journeys more enjoyable and comfortable by reporting flower patches and especially road conditions to us. Contact David at the Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre: 079 184 8717
NB ! Although the Namaqualand flower displays are mostly over, Namaqualand still has dramatic and beautiful scenery and places of cultural interest to visit. Please contact the local information centres (details given at the end of this report) for places to visit.
· Darling - Both Tienie Versveld and the Darling Groenkloof reserves are worth a visit. Oude Post - people can drive through but must stay on the road as the road can be wet alongside. Flowers to see: suring (early Oxalis), and lots of bloupypie (Gladiolus gacilis).
· There are a lot of flowers at the West Coast National Park covering the area in an array of colours, some of the flowers that can be found there are, soetgousblom (Arctotheca calendula); gousblomme; drumsticks (Zaluzianskya villosa); reënblom (Dimorphotheca pluvialis); margriet (Dimorphotheca sp.); Gazania; varkslaai (Conicosia pugioniformis); bokbaaivygie (Dorotheanthus bellidiformis); oxalis; and white Namaqualand daisies (Dimorphotheca pluvialis), as well as your bobbejaantjies (Babiana thunbergii). There are also smaller flowers starting to come out, resulting in a large diversity. The flowers do not open when there is mist over the park, but as soon as sunlight breaks through they will start to open. The flowers in the park are starting to go down a bit, but it is still a must for any flower enthusiast. Person to contact: Carmen 022 772 2144.
· Postberg still has good flower viewing - open until the 30 September. One must travel through the West Coast National Park to get there, where an entrance fee will be charged at R38 for adults and R26 for children, for all SA citizens, and R72 for adults and R40 for children, for all overseas travellers. There will be free admission for SA Citizens between 13 - 17 September, including the entry fee into West Coast National Park.
· The ACVV Tea garden in Ramskop Nature Garden is open till 30 September 2010.
NAMAQUALAND & SURROUNDINGS FLOWER ROUTE
1. The flowers in and around Clanwilliam are almost at their end, but the circular driving routes from Clanwilliam to Klawer still offer some flower viewing. Person to contact: (Susan 027 482 2024). The flowers in the Ramskop Nature Garden in Clanwilliam are starting to go down, but is still beautiful, with a some variety, and walking paths between the flowers make it worth while visiting. Person to contact: Joannie 027 482 8018
2. Between Nieuwoudtville and Matjiesfontein there are beautiful Namaqualand daisies, cup-and-saucers (Androcymbium or Colchicum sp.), katstert (Bulbinella divaginata), syblom, and the endemic blue pride (Geissorhiza spledidissima) flowers, which are only found in Nieuwoudtville. The road is a gravel road; it is accessible with a normal vehicle, but drive carefully. Some flowers are starting to come up on the Rondekop route. Papkuilsfontein has good flower displays. Between Nieuwoudtville and Loeriesfontein, 4km outside Nieuwoudtville, there is a turn off to your left, which will take you to Grasberg trekroete, which has beautiful flower displays. Matjiesfontein, if you drive out the church grounds in Nieuwoudtville, left at the fourway stop. Keep going with that road for 14km, the flowers are on your right hand side. Biekos, out the church gates, right at the four ways. Take the Loeriesfontein road. Turn left at the Grasberg sign and look out for the Biekos sign. Papkuilsfontein, out the church gates, left at the fourway, the flowers are 23km outside town on your righthand side. Groenrivier, out the church gates, over the fourway, left at the 2nd crossing. Keep going with that road. Botanical gardens, out the church gates, left at the fourway, keep going with that road and turn left at the sign and keep going ‘till you get to the wooden house. Person to contact: (Belinda 027 218 1336).
3. West of Garies between Sarrisam and Soutfontein, you will find a patch of bittergousblom (Arctotis fastuosa). It is a gravel road, but a normal vehicle will manage quite easily, as long as you don’t drive too fast. Person to contact: (Sonja 027 652 1220).
4. There are showy volstruisvygie (Jordaaniella spongiosa just north of Koingnaas. Person to contact: (Sandy 082 454 2020).
5. When driving on the Kamieskroon - Leliefontein road, take Droëdap/Springbok turn off (at the first house on your left) and about 3 - 4 km further there are patches of varkiesknol (Conicosia elongata).
6. Also along the Kamieskroon Leliefontein road, past the turn off to Droëdap/Spring turnoff, there is a turn off to Pedroskloof. Take this for some patches of orange daisies, some berg gousblomme (Ursinia calenduliflora), and some pietsnot (Grielum humifusum). Person to contact: Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre 079 184 8717.
7. At Namaqua National Park most of the flowers have finished. You will still see a few flowers if you climb out of your vehicle, and walk on the walking trails. When in the park you can keep an eye out for a number of birds, including the black eagle, jackal buzzard, rock kestrel, northern black korhaan and the two booted eagles nesting in the blue gum tree near the park reception. Person to contact: (Namaqua National Park 027 672 1948 and the Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre 079 184 8717).
8. There are some flowers on Wildeperdehoek Pass
9. And between Komaggas and Soebatsfontein. Person to contact: Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre 079 184 8717.
· Hardeveld Tourism Centre
· Garies Tourism Stall
P.O. Box 136
· 09:00-17:00 Mon-Sun
· Honnehok Chalets
P.O. Box 104
Tel: (027) 692-3041
Fax: 088 027 692 3041 (fax to E-mail)
· Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre
· Kamieskroon Hotel
Old National Road
· Namaqua National Park
Hours: 08:00-18:00 Mon-Sun
· Diamondcoast - Forever Namaqualand
08:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00 Mon-Fri
· Main Street 16
· Publicity Association
· Springbok Tourism
· Springbok Lodge & Restaurant
37 Voortrekker Street
08:00-20:00 Mon to Sun
· Biodiversity Centre
09:00-13:00 & 13:45-16:30 Mon to Fri
· Vanrhynsdorp Tourism Gateway
Van Riebeeck Street
· Matzikama Tourism
37 Church Street
09:00-13:00 & 13:30-17:30 Mon-Fri